Vintage Edwardian Downton Abbey Wedding –
Along with about 12 million other people, we’re delighted here at Aspirational Bride to see the return of the hugely successful Downton Abbey! It doesn’t seem so long ago we were treated to the stunning wedding of Matthew and Lady Mary (how things have changed for her now!), and many gorgeous period costumes too.
Lady Mary’s 1920’s wedding dress had been a long awaited and closely guarded secret. As we got our first glimpse of it we saw she had opted for a sumptuous yet simple late Edwardian style, with just a glimpse of 1920’s fashion creeping in. Her dress was essentially a lace tabard fabric going into a train at the back. Underneath was a silk dress with silk sleeves. The lace went into a ‘V’ at the back with tiny buttons, completely edged with rice pearls and Swarovski crystal.
We also witnessed a more poignant storyline featuring the eagerly anticipated wedding of Lady Edith. The dress created for Lady Edith was set off with an antique wedding train and hand stitched appliqué of intricate silver embroidery and crystals which drew in the dress at the hip.
So how could you go about recreating some Downton Abbey influences for your own wedding…
- Wear laced wedding boots – a stylish and practical idea, especially for winter weddings!
- Opt for intricate lace detail on your wedding dress, very vintage and highly fashionable at present.
- Drop hints (!) you’d love an Edwardian, or Edwardian inspired engagement ring, again with a very intricate design.
- Send vintage wedding invitations, this Victorian design is by American Bella Baroque Design, but there are many UK designers who will work on a similar commission.
- Choose an Edwardian inspired wedding cake, showing the same attention to laced/stitched detail as the wedding dresses of the era.
- Wear an antique or vintage inspired headdress, no doubt Lady Mary’s would have been handed down through the generations!
Category: Wedding Color & Theme Ideas