A special thank you to Kate Kelvin (a professional UK hair and make-up artist specialising in natural make-up) for this guest post on top tips for using and applying mascara. Over to Kate…
Mascara is the key to ‘finished’ makeup, it’s the one item you can wear with no other makeup and look fabulous… that’s because it’s all about the eyes, and black or dark brown round the edge of your eye will emphasise the iris colour.
Mascara always looks better and more natural when it goes on smooth without the ‘clumpy’ bits, this can take away the beauty of the eyes instead of adding to them. A tip I use is to apply the mascara and then take a disposable dry clean wand and go over them to get rid of unsightly clumping.
There are so many beautiful colours of mascara to experiment with, and the bolder the better this Summer so let your creativity flow!
Mascara Top Tips
1. Apply mascara after eye shadow and eyeliner.
2. Black is a safe option since it suits most eye colors.
3. Always curl your lashes before applying mascara; otherwise you risk damaging your eyelashes.
4. For short eyelashes choose mascara that contains plastic polymers which give a lengthening illusion effect.
5. Brown mascara is perfect for a mature woman.
6. Thin, short brushes are best, a thinner brush allows you to get into the corner of eyes while a short brush gives you more control.
7. Give a few extra coats to the edges of your lashes by blinking onto the mascara brush.
8. Comb the lashes to separate the hairs and to remove the excess mascara.
9. For a dramatic look, apply mascara only to the upper lashes. To make eyes seem wider, apply to the bottom, too. But make sure you give lashes a light touch.
10. Wear waterproof mascara before doing your outdoor activities.
11. Wait five seconds before blinking to avoid smudges on your lids.
12. Avoid sharing your mascara and you will avoid eye irritation. Furthermore, you have to throw away your mascara after 6 months!
… And remember – be with a man who ruins your lipstick, not your mascara!
Kate’s website – http://www.katekelvinmakeupartist.co.uk/
Category: Hair & Make-Up